Hands-On Organic Vegetable Gardening Class
Don’t have a lot of time, money, patience, or space…but want a productive vegetable garden?
- learn the Citizen Gardener method to growing vegetables in DFW’s unique growing seasons
- raise safe, nutritious food for your family
- get it done quickly, easily, and for little money
What will I do in the class?
- Gain the knowledge needed to turn your bare ground or Bermuda grass lawn into raised-garden beds – in the right place, with the right soil, at the right time, with the right plants. Small enough to manage, big enough to provide real food.
- Techniques: Raised beds; soil, mulch, and compost; bio-intensive/square-foot gardening, organic/natural methods, relative space, stack and pack, vertical.
- How to deal with: Water, Sun, Heat, Cold, and Wind.
- Build and plant 2 beds (2 different ways) with live transplants and seeds.
- Build trellis from bamboo.
- Build a hoop house for summer shade and winter greenhouse.
- Build a rain water collection barrel – learn the very expensive pitfalls of doing it incorrectly.
- Hands-On: Students, assistants, and teacher working as a team. Learning while doing!
Do It,…Learn It,…Go Home and Do It
Class schedule coincides with our planting seasons.
How it works:
- Complete the Course – learn the skills, gain the knowledge, and be encouraged.
- Community Service – volunteer 8 hours within the program.
- Become a Citizen Gardener.
Find a class:
- Click on the ‘classes‘ link from the menu
- Sign up for the class of your choice
- Classes are only held during the appropriate planting seasons
- Consider starting your own class near you