Author Topic: Raised bed soil recommendations  (Read 27526 times)

Offline Brian Gallimore

• CitizenGardenerTeam
  • Food Producer
  • Brian G
    • Brian's personal website
Raised bed soil recommendations
« on: March 18, 2011, 11:52:10 PM »
?:
Hi Neil, I could swear I read in a note or answer not too long ago where you gave a recommendation of ratios & what to mix for a raised garden soil, but now I can't find it. I'm in Dallas and I'm building a raised vegetable garden, if that influences your answer.
11 hours ago · Like ·

Neil Sperry GARDEN TIPS
January 4: Garden Tip: First spring vegetable garden tip. Requirements: full sun (at least 8 hours per day), raised beds (to ensure good drainage) filled with loose, highly organic soil. Prepare soil several weeks prior to plantings to allow it to "mellow." I add 2 inches of Canadian peat, 1 inch each of pine bark mulch, compost, rotted manure and rototill to 12 inches.
Question/Answer from Neil Sperry's facebook page
briangallimore.com  -Permaculture Nut-  -Master Gardener-  -Master Naturalist-  Princeton Texas

Offline Brian Gallimore

• CitizenGardenerTeam
  • Food Producer
  • Brian G
Re: Raised bed soil recommendations
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 11:55:28 PM »
Mel's Mix (Mel Bartholomew - Square Foot Gardening)
1/3 peat moss
1/3 coarse vermiculite
1/3 compost
briangallimore.com  -Permaculture Nut-  -Master Gardener-  -Master Naturalist-  Princeton Texas

Offline BigKen

• Sprout
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 02:43:30 PM »
I think I'd forgo the peat and vermiculite.  Add manures and fresh compost...........
BigKen

Offline texasmufflerman

• CitizenGardenerTeam
  • Seedling
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 06:32:41 PM »
texasmufflerman's mix:

8" of pure compost from the leaf-composting cage.  (My compost started as a mixture of just leaves and all of our non-meat/non-dairy food scraps.)

Offline Brian Gallimore

• CitizenGardenerTeam
  • Food Producer
  • Brian G
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 08:55:24 AM »
I learned a little about soil biology in my PDC.  Turns out 100% compost is not a very good idea, because it contains zero minerals.  Soil contains 45% minerals.  (sand + clay)

Vermiculite is inert.  It doesn't provide any nutrition.  Peat moss is sterile and ANTI-MICROBIAL, which is the opposite of what we want.  (we want healthy microbial and fungal activity in the soil)

For these reasons, my new recommendation for raised beds is:
the best garden soil you can buy/find.

Offline Brian Gallimore

• CitizenGardenerTeam
  • Food Producer
  • Brian G
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 11:20:29 PM »
I've used the soil mix from Living Earth in Plano and had excellent results.

http://northtexasvegetablegardeners.com/forum/index.php?topic=7.0

Offline Brian Gallimore

• CitizenGardenerTeam
  • Food Producer
  • Brian G
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 08:59:24 PM »
The Citizen Gardener program uses the 'Organic Grower's Mix' from Soil Building Systems

http://northtexasvegetablegardeners.com/forum/index.php?topic=357.0

I think this is probably the best you can buy in the DFW area.

Offline Frank

• Transplant
    • Texas Plant & Soil Lab
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 06:09:55 PM »
We agree with Brian's comments concerning Peat Moss - and we also agree with Howard's comments concerning same - see:
http://www.dirtdoctor.com/organic/garden/faq/letter/P/ - he has several articles on it - scroll down to Peat Moss.  But there are several things it can do for you: 1. Lower the pH (but that's it - nukes the biology).  2. Act as a preservative (not good for growing things).

Yes, too much compost is not good, for the reasons Brian stated.  The goal is 5% Organic Matter - with a high Humic Fraction (well-matured compost).  While compost (decomposed Organic Matter) is extremely important, it is not a panacea....

We have a paper on this.  Please see:
http://www.texasplantandsoillab.com/PDFs/soil-organic-matter-infomation.pdf

There are several ways to lower your soil's pH - none of them very practical - best to grow things in the kind of soil they like... (don't try blueberries in black gumbo...).

Offline richardlbrown@sbcglobal.n

• Seed (New Member)
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2021, 02:38:01 PM »
I'm new to the forum.  I see these posts date back to 2011/2012 and am wondering if there are any new recommendations for soil for a raised bed.  I'll be getting about 5 CY.  I see that Soil Building Systems has a soil called Premium Vegetable Bed Blend.  Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • Transplant
  • Sysop
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2021, 02:57:48 PM »
I've heard the soil blend you mentioned is good.

I've put together a list of places to buy from in the DFW area here:  https://soil.ntvg.org -- hope that helps!