Author Topic: Newsletters from Motherherbs Garden - Val - 2016  (Read 5796 times)

Offline Brian Gallimore

• CitizenGardenerTeam
  • Food Producer
  • Brian G
    • Brian's personal website
Newsletters from Motherherbs Garden - Val - 2016
« on: February 03, 2016, 06:51:14 AM »
1/26/2016
Hello Veggie Gardeners and Organic Folk,

I've really missed ya'll.......2015 was 'outa' control' busy for me, both really good and really weird.......I've been restoring my 1864 home since August and still have tons to do, I've been doing consultations for the Dallas Arboretum to help with the design of the new organic garden site they'll be installing in 2016, and I'll be teaching classes there as well. My first one is Sat.2/6 from 12-2pm, "Soils from the Ground Up/Understanding Your Soil", which is about understanding the living organism that is soil, how it  works and how to make it happy and healthy......Happy soil equals happy plants!!!
If your interested you can sign up through the Arboretum website.
On a more personal note it feels like the world seems to be spinning faster, that it's shifting....... I sense a shift in society, and I definitely see a change in nature. Our world is changing and change is inevitable, the down side is it can be hard, even painful, but the up side is it gives us the opportunity to grow and to 'shift' things in our own lives. No one is an island, no one is a rock and no one can stand still forever. We need to embrace the changes in our lives, look for the joys in everyday, and try to spread as much love and light into the world as we can..... I hope ya'll can feel it.......Live in the NOW, the past is past, and the futures not here yet....... Now is right here and we can do amazing loving things with it, give it a try, I promise it will make you smile.

A couple of quick notes.....

---I'm looking for a new helper/worker, they'll need to be smart, strong, reliable and self motivated. If anyone comes to mind please pass along my # 972-207-2938.

---I have bulk mushroom compost coming in within the week. This BLACK GOLD is good for everything-- prepping veggie beds, top dressing perennial beds and lawns, you can even add some into your potting mixes---plants love this stuff, as most of you already know..... $65@yard, $35@1/2 yard, or $6@bag your own. This is a 'load your own' deal, so bring your gloves, I'll provide the bags and shovels.

---I just received the huge 2016 organic/heirloom seed order, so they're in stock.

---Potatoes and onions will be in by next Sat........ The best planting time for our area is Feb1st - March 1st. I usually do it for myself and clients Feb.15th

Springs on it's way so I'm back, so it's time to start getting those garden juices flowing again.....Woo-Hoo!!!!.....

Here's a list of things that we need to be thinking about now......

#1-- Prepping those veggie garden beds and containers
#2 --If you put in winter cover crops they need to be flipped under now it can take 4-6 weeks for them to brake down and re release their nutrients, you'll still need to add the                         amendments and a inch or so of compost.as well.
#3 --Feb 1st - March 1st is the best time to plant onions, potatoes, and asparagus.
#4 --Traditionally Valentines day is the time to feed your roses. Also trim shrub roes now but hold back on your climbing roses till AFTER they bloom or you'll be cutting  the                     flowering laterals off. I've got Rose Food in stock.
#5 --Top dress those tired perennial beds with compost and fresh mulch, and fertilize them late Feb. They will be glorious for the effort you invested.
#6 --The bugs are gonna' be a real issue this year due to the fact we never really had a winter so I would suggest getting beneficial nematodes out early.
#7 --Feb is the month to put out corn glueton meal to help stop the weeds. I'll be getting it in around Feb 15th. Due to it's high cost, around $45, I usually only bring in a small quantity, but will be glad to take pre-orders. So give me a call and I'll put you on the list.972-207-2938
#8 --If you haven't fed your fruit trees you still have time. I suggest dry molasses and a top dress of compost around the drip line. This is also highly beneficial for all trees and shrubs.
So Let's Get To Work......
Basic Vegetable Garden Bed Prep

The 3 steps for basic vegetable bed prep. Keep in mind food crops are big feeders, if we don't feed them they won't feed us.

#1 - The Foundation
        3 ingredients - native soil, good quality compost and expanded shale.
        A 50/50 mix of soil and compost. This will be 2-3" of compost mixed with 3" of your natural soil, and 2-3" of expanded shale.
        Mix roughly to a depth of 8-10"
        You could also benefit from an application of fresh worm castings in this early stage. Fresh castings always contain eggs so you'll be seeding earthworms. The presence of the castings also amplifies the trace elements within the mix.

#2 - Basic Amendments :
        Alfalfa meal for nitrogen -- 3-4 lbs per 100 sq ft
        Dry molasses -- 2-4 lbs per 100 sq ft. I'd be a little heavy handed with this veggies love the additional carbs.
        TX greensand -- 4-5 lbs per 100 sq ft
        Soft rock phosphate -- 2-4 lbs per 100sq ft
        Once the 'Foundation' has been well mixed, apply these to the surface and rough into the top 2" after which you want to water lightly.
        Do not apply when the foundation is being mixed, only after. If these are turned into 8-10", and then continue to leech down, they'll be so deep most plants roots will never access them. Also these amendments need to travel through the soil in order to begin altering the pH levels. Their added benefits will be lost if they are turned in deeply.

#3 - Mulch 'Put a hat on it':
        IMMEDIATELY after you have accomplished the above task put a 3" layer of Cedar mulch over the entire bed and water deeply, saturating the soil down to at least 4". This is extremely important to the life of the soil. Left exposed it allows the soil to dry out and soil life begins to decline, it can not exist where there is no moisture.
        It will keep it cooler in hot weather and warmer in cold weather. Vegetables are highly susceptible to fluctuations in soil temperatures so the more consistency the more success.
On to the Mon News....
Tue.1/26 and Wed.1/27 the moon will be in Virgo--an earth sign and we're still basking in the full moon phase. Virgo is a somewhat barren sign so it's not the best for planting but great for anything involving soil or fertilizing...This is an awesome time to do soil prep.
Thur.1/28, Fri.1/29, and Sat.1/30 the moon goes through Libra---an air sign and one of balance and beauty. This is ideal for trimming your fruit trees, evergreen shrubs like hollies, nandinas, yews, pittosporums, and yaupons. Also you can reshape flowering shrubs like Altheas, vitex, pomegranate and mock orange. DO NOT trim hydrangeas, spireas, or rosemary--they bloom on new wood so you don't want to cut on them just yet.... Salvia greggii and lavender need to be left till later as well, cutting them now can cause damage or death.
Sun.1/31 and Mon.2/1 the moon crawls into Scorpio--a water sign. This is normally a good sign for planting and playing with the plants, but the Last Quarter Moon Phase comes in and that nullifies the benefits. So work on prepping and top dressing and leave the plants till next week after the New Moon Phase comes in.
Tue.2/2, Wed.2/3 and Thur.2/4 the moon soars through Sagittarius--a fire sign. This is a 'Killing Moon', so it's a good time to mow, pull weeds, and dig up those patches of poison ivy and other invasives that are trying to take over.
Fri.2/5 and Sat.2/6 the moon will leap into Capricorn--an earth sign. Get those garden beds ready......And you could plant onions and potatoes today, but next weekend is a much better choice by then the moon will be in the perfect spot for encouraging the ultimate success. The store will open Sat but I won't be here to answer questions, I'm teaching the class at the arboretum. Peter and Patrick will be here to help you.
Sun.2/7 and Mon.2/8 the moon floats through Aquarius--an air sign and the New Moon Phase starts on Monday. If your not watching the Super Bowl--Go Broncos!!--This is good for working on prepping and fertilizing and getting out corn glueton meal.
Tue.2/9 and Wed.2/10  the moon swims into Pisces--a water sign with New Moon influences is terrific for seeding spinach, arugula, kale, bok choy, radish and cilantro. Avoid planting root crops like onions, potatoes, carrots, beets and radish don't do well when planted in a water sign---They tend to rot.
Thur.2/11 and Fri.2/12 the moon will stomp through Aries--a fire sign. Step away from the garden and go mow or pull weeds.
Sat.2/13 and Sun.2/14 the moon charge into Taurus--an earth sign--Here's what we've been waiting for, I can hear the onions and potatoes singing."Plant us, Oh, plant us now". Remember both these crops need soil that drains well and is loose to allow for their expansion so the heavy use of expanded shale will really make a difference. ES is part of my soils foundation, but I'll add extra to the bottom of the onion trenches, and under the potatoes. Also they both love nitrogen so be sure to add a extra dose of alfalfa meal when planting and then do a good dusting every 3 weeks to encourage them to fatten up. This is also a good time to seed other root crops too.
Mon.2/15 and Tue.2/16 the moon goes into Gemini--an air sign and the First Quarter moon phase begins. Start feeding and trimming your roses. Remember to trim the climbing roses AFTER they bloom.
Wed.2/17, Thur.2/18 and Fri.2/19 the moon scoots into Cancer--a water sign and with this moon phase it is a glorious time for planting, seeding and cutting back for new growth. Just avoid doing root crops right now, remember they don't do well planted in water signs.
Sat.2/20 and Sun.2/21 the moon roars into Leo --a fire sign and the king of the 'Killing Moons', so go mow the yard, pull weeds and fight the unwanteds. Leave the plants and gardens alone.
Mon.2/22, Tue.2/23 and Wed.2/24 the moon will be in Virgo--an earth sign and the Full Moon Phase starts too. This is a good time to fertilize the yard and anything else you haven't already done. It's also a good time to do any soil prepping for warmer season gardens.
Well ya'll it's good to be back, I've got all the hard goods coming in by Sat and appreciate ya'll supporting me, without your patronage I couldn't do what I love. Thank you so much!

I'm open 2 days a week, Thursday and Saturday 10am-6pm. If you have questions or need directions give me a call 972-207-2938.
See ya in the garden 'Peeps',
Love and Light,
Val
briangallimore.com  -Permaculture Nut-  -Master Gardener-  -Master Naturalist-  Princeton Texas

Offline Daniel Wood

• Transplant
Re: Newsletters from Motherherbs Garden - Val - 2016
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 10:51:01 PM »
Who is this? Where are they.is there a link?

Offline Brian Gallimore

• CitizenGardenerTeam
  • Food Producer
  • Brian G
    • Brian's personal website
Re: Newsletters from Motherherbs Garden - Val - 2016
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 09:23:56 AM »
Who is this? Where are they.is there a link?
Val sends out newsletters to her subscribers, but doesn't have a website that I know of.  Her store is only open a few days a week, and is located south of Dallas I believe, she gives the address in previous newsletters.
briangallimore.com  -Permaculture Nut-  -Master Gardener-  -Master Naturalist-  Princeton Texas